Friday, April 16, 2010

"In Search Of..." style series used to promote "Lost"

To promote the final series of "Lost," several episodes were made of an "In Search Of..." style late seventies/early eighties unsolved mystery/paranormal mystery series.







Holy crap! Holy crap! This is GREAT! As a fan of the original "In Search Of..." I must say, they totally nailed it. From the buzzing, shrieky music, to the droning narration based around eerie implied threats, to the aged 1970s film look, to the use of ancient frescoes and shots of random crowds.

I finally realized why I love "Lost" so much, incidentally: it reminds me of "In Search Of..." in that what is interesting about it is the weird, subtle awe and fear, as well as the sense of ambiguity about the mysterious. In many ways, "Lost" is like a real-life "In Search Of..."




This one, incidentally, is my favorite because it explains something that I've wondered about for some time: why is it that the Dharma Initiative used, of all things, submarines?

3 comments:

Eduardo M. said...

Very well done. Feels like an actual late 70s-early 80s show. I may watch again to see if I can spot any easter eggs. I did notice one or two of the invoices looked like they were food items.

It does seem to answer why Dharma would use a sub. There maybe more to it but at least one reson seems to surface

Julian Perez said...

Beats me how I didn't learn about this until recently, but a few of the revelations here were actually explained in Season 5. For instance, the lighthouse station under the church is the one taken over by Eloise Hawking, that was used by the Dharma Initiative to find the location of the island.

I've actually wondered what was up with the Lighthouse. Why didn't Charles Widmore know about it and use it...especially if Eloise, the mother of his son, was running the place?

Finally, I just noticed that on the title screen, it had in small letters, the "In Search Of.." disclaimer, say it with me now: "This series is based in part on theory and conjecture. The producers' purpose is to suggest a possible explanation, but not necessarily the only one, for the mysteries we will examine."

I was downright tickled pink to see anyone remember that!

Eduardo M. said...

"I've actually wondered what was up with the Lighthouse. Why didn't Charles Widmore know about it and use it...especially if Eloise, the mother of his son, was running the place?"

He and Eloise didn't seem to be on speaking terms. It could be she either didn't tell him about the Lighthouse or banned him from using it.